Mold and mildew aren't just damaging to your health – when moisture and humidity get into your home, they can cause rot, decay and structural damage.
The Risks of Mold
Exposure to molds can cause health issues including headaches, breathing difficulties, skin irritation, allergic reactions and aggravation of asthma symptoms. Molds can also cause structural damage to your home, which could potentially result in expensive repairs and lowered property value.
Mold thrives in moist, humid environments. Here are some steps you can take to help prevent mold growth in your home:
- Be sure your home or building has enough ventilation. Be sure all exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom, along with your clothes dryer, are vented to the outside.
- Fix any leaks in your home or building's roof, walls or plumbing so mold does not have moisture to grow. If your home or building has been damaged by water, call a restoration expert (like the ones at ServiceMaster Restore) to clean and dry the building thoroughly within 24-48 hours.
- Remove or replace any carpets or upholstery that have been soaked and can't be dried promptly. Also, avoid using carpeting in the bathroom, basement and other areas of your home that may be susceptible to moisture.
Whether you're buying or selling a home, our AmeriSpec inspectors are trained to perform a variety of specialty services–including mold inspections–that can help you make a smart investment.
If you notice signs of mold in your home, or worry that you may have mold,call the mold remediation experts at ServiceMaster Restore.
It's understandable to want to try to remove mold as soon as you find it. However, attempting serious mold and mildew removal on your own can make the damage and danger worse by releasing mold spores into the air and causing additional risk.
ServiceMaster Restore mold remediation experts have the training, experience and equipment needed to remove mold and repair the damage.
Our mold remediation experts can help:
- Inspect and assess the mold damage
- Contain the mold
- Filter the air
- Remove the mold
- Clean the area and belongings
- Restore the property
Protect Your Home from Moisture
Keeping mold out of your home starts with moisture control and prevention.
Mold and mildew aren't only caused by serious water damage. They can also be caused by outdoor moisture and water that can get into your home. Terminix can help protect your home with these moisture control solutions:
- Our Crawl Space Encapsulation system helps minimize moisture conditions that are favorable to wood-destroying molds and pests.
- Vapor barriers can be applied directly to the soil to prevent moisture and groundwater from condensing on wood and causing rot and other structural damage.
- Crawl space vents automatically open and close your vents according to the weather to help regulate your crawl space's temperature, reduce moisture and increase energy efficiency.